The Association of Legal Administrators (ALA) was formed in 1971 to provide support to those professionals involved in the management of law firms, corporate legal departments and government legal agencies. ALA’s members, representing employers in more than 20 countries, are administrators who direct important areas of law firm management including marketing, technology, and finance. See the following links for more information about ALA’s Mission Statement, Code of Professional Responsibility and Strategic Plan:
AT A GLANCE
- Formed in 1971
- ALA’s Annual Educational Conference is recognized as the premier educational conference in the field of law firm management.
- Regional Conferences provide affordable educational opportunities for ALA members and members of the legal management team.
- ALA’s holds webinars that are a cost effective and efficient way to bring education to participant’s office or home.
The Association of Legal Administrators’ mission is to:
- Promote and enhance the competence and professionalism of all members of the legal management team;
- Improve the quality of management in law firms and other legal service organizations; and
- Represent professional legal management and managers to the legal community and to the community at large.
The Association of Legal Administrators’ goals are to:
- Develop and deliver programs and products that will provide high-quality, competency-based education to members of the legal management team.
- Improve and strengthen the flow of information to and from the members.
- Enhance the services and benefits available to members.
- Increase the visibility and credibility of the Association of Legal Administrators and its members in the legal community through effective marketing and communications, and through partnering efforts with the bar and other law-related associations.
- Retain and recruit members from all components of the legal management team.
- Maintain the Association’s strong economic base.
- Increase diversity in the Association, in the legal management community and in all legal service organizations.
- Promote and continue an organizational structure which clearly and effectively allocates the policy and operational roles and responsibilities of volunteers and staff through Governance Policies that ensure that organizational resources are best-used to achieve the Association’s Mission and Goals.
Annual Conference and Exposition
ALA’s Annual Educational Conference is recognized as the premier educational conference in the field of law firm management. It is designed to meet the needs and interests of legal managers, whether novice or seasoned, generalist or specialist. Over 1,400 administrators attend four days of educational programs featuring more than 140 courses. ALA’s Exposition is the only national show specifically targeting the legal administrator. More than 200 companies showcase the latest legal technology, products and services. Attending ALA’s Annual Educational Conference and Exposition is an opportunity legal administrators and vendors cannot afford to miss!
Regional Conferences, 2-day events traditionally held each Fall, provide affordable educational opportunities for ALA members and members of the legal management team. You will not find a better opportunity to expand your knowledge, enhance your professional value, and network with your peers.
Retreats and Specialized Programs
Legal managers who work in specialized organizations enjoy learning opportunities tailored to their unique needs. Each year, ALA’s special interest retreats provide speaker and panel presentations as well as networking benefits. Currently, ALA sponsors three special interest retreats and two specialty programs:
- Large Firm Administrators Retreat
- Corporate/Government Fall Forum
- Intellectual Property Retreat
- Law Firm Management: Essential Competencies for Legal Administrators. To learn more about ALA’s Educational offerings for Essential Competencies for Legal Administrators (ECLA), click here.
- Law Firm Profitability Enhancement Plan. To learn more about ALA’s Educational offerings for Law Firm Profitability Seminars, click here.
ALA’s webinars are a cost effective and efficient way to bring education to each participant’s office or home. Whether located in a large metropolitan area or in a small rural community, this educational opportunity is as close as your computer. And, because ALA utilizes the “site license” concept, individuals can invite unlimited listeners to participate in the learning experience – all for one low registration fee. To learn more about ALA’s educational offerings for webinars, click here
Professional Certification for Legal Administrators
In February 1996, the ALA Board of Directors voted to implement a voluntary certification program. The Board’s action follows a patient and thorough study of how voluntary certification can support ALA’s commitment to competency-based education and enables interested individuals to meet their personal and professional development needs.
ALA Management Solutions (sm)
Using various communication techniques for efficient service, this program offers timely assistance to members seeking help with association- and profession-specific information needs.
ALA Management Connections (sm) — Job Bank
ALA’s nationwide job bank program, ALA Management Connections (sm), was created for individuals seeking to secure or fill positions within the legal management profession. This program brings together prospective employers and employees from every aspect of the legal marketplace.
Member Benefits Program
Enhancing the services and benefits available to ALA members continues to be one of ALA’s top priorities. With that goal in mind, ALA has a series of benefit programs that are of value not only to members, but also to their employers and families. ALA currently offers programs in cooperation with a variety of nationwide vendors.
For more information regarding ALA’s educational programs, see the Continuing Professional Education, Calendar of Events, and ALA’s Educational Foundation (FALA) at ALA’s website, www.alanet.org